Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

DSC_0693 copy

I hope you all had a safe and happy Thanksgiving day with those closest to you. I snapped a few shots of my Thanksgiving table colors this year, but I wished I would have gotten a picture of that gorgeous looking 24 pound turkey. This year I tried something different. Roasted turkey with a hazelnut-prosciutto crust. It was a recipe from the Epicurious website and it was a definite success. Hazelnuts and prosciutto are combined in a seasoned butter and slathered over the turkey as it roasts, then added to the gravy for a rich, hearty flavor. Unfortunately, my camera was nowhere to be found at the moment when the oven door opened. But in case you’re curious here is the RECIPE.

This year I chose colors that were unusual for me. No beloved orange in sight. Instead, I found a gold toned fabric remnant that was my inspiration.

DSC_0700

Only once I got it on my table, I saw that it was a little short. My solution? I hot glued some bronze/ deep brown ribbon to the edges.

Remember all my miniature orange pumpkins from Halloween?

DSC_0724

They got a coat of gold from a spray can. I used the pretty I Am Thankful downloads from the Silverbox Creative website and if you look closely, you can see that I attached two labels that read, I am Thankful for and the guest’s name. These pumpkins were the place cards at each setting. When each guest sat down they received the personal message that they are truly appreciated.

DSC_0679 copy

DSC_0684 copy

This is a shot before the table is completely set, but it gives you an idea. Simple white plates and wine goblets with blue stems. Cranberry and rust-colored napkins coordinated with the deep scarlet eucalyptus, bright red and lavender flowers.

DSC_0686 copy

I also made little strips that read I am Thankful for…

DSC_0721 copy

Here is a close up picture. I placed them on a silver tray and after dinner, I passed them around. Instead of asking everyone to write something down, I kept it casual and simply asked for anyone’s thoughts.

DSC_0694

DSC_0696

And guess what? Everyone actually joined in. And I have to admit, I didn’t know if that would happen. I started off by sharing a few things that I felt truly thankful for these days, but I made it totally optional and it was such a lovely surprise to have everyone say something.

DSC_0699 copy

And now that Thanksgiving is over… I need to remember this quote by John F. Kennedy:

 

As we express our gratitude,

we must never forget that the highest appreciation

is not to utter words,

but to live by them.

 

Have a wonderful day my friends!

 

 

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...