Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

what would Joanie do?

tumblr_lzcw3oPV2s1qkpc62o1_500_thumbvogue.com

Before I went to Maui, I went to visit Joanie.

I followed her into a small, darkened room that was lit with a scented candle, and with the soft strains of piano music drifting in the background, Joanie shared the not-so-mysterious-secrets of the fountain of youth with me.

And afterwards I felt utterly transformed.

That’s because Joanie is the wise and mystical Yoda of skin care. I’m serious. She’s been in the business for twenty-eight years and you know you’re in the presence of a knowledgeable pro when you meet her. Not to mention that Joanie looks twenty-five years younger than she actually is, which is reason enough for me to heed her advice on skin care.

If you happen to live in the vicinity of Esthetics by Jeanette Salon and Spa, I think you should immediately call and make an appointment with Joanie so that you can also experience this exhilarating-I’ve-just-been-totally-pampered-feeling, but if you can’t, I understand.

So let me share five things Joanie recently told me.

  1. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. Exfoliate. It’s terribly crucial in order to shed the layer of old, drab skin cells that are masking our healthy glow. What to use? My skin is notoriously sensitive and it loves the Pear and Poppy Seed Microderm Polisher by Eminence. How much should we do this? Three times a week.
  2. Not all moisturizers hydrate your skin. Imagine your poor baby skin being pelted by dry winds and hot, rays of sun without a glimpse of cool water in sight. Don’t you feel bad, not offering it a drink of water? But I didn’t know there was a difference between moisturizing and hydrating, did you? Check your favorite product and make sure you’re really hydrating your skin.
  3. Wash cloths keep our face from looking dull. During my facials with Joanie, I always hear some innocuous, little fact that I should already know… but somehow, I don’t. When Joanie asked me, “Do you use a wash cloth when you’re rinsing your face?” I gave the wrong answer, although she reassured me that I’m not alone. Joanie says most women don’t know that they SHOULD use a wash cloth while rinsing their face because it helps exfoliate. And, don’t be afraid to rub, she says.
  4. But---Never ever rub the skin around your eyes. You probably already know this one, but here it is again: never rub the delicate eye area. Not while washing. Not while moisturizing. Not while tired. Never.
  5. Use your ring fingers to dab eye cream around the outer area of your eyes. Dab means little dots, and place them where you can feel the ridge of your eye bone. Why the ring fingers? Sorry, but I didn’t ask. When Yoda speaks, you just listen.

DSC_0425_thumb9_thumb

Before I go, I thought I would share a few of the organic products that I use.


79446380896190536_Y70ROHjL_c_thumb4_

Did I tell you something that you didn’t know?

xoxo

Leslie

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love skin care and I too, have sensitive skin. A bit of rosacea also on my cheeks. Most exfolitators are too rough for my skin. I will check out the Pear and Poppy scrub. Sounds decadent!

Kristen @ The Chronicles of Dutch said...

I always thought you shouldn't use a washcloth! Good to know!

Unknown said...

I am always looking for new skin tips:) Thanks so much for sharing!
Loressa
lifes curious wisdom

Jennifer said...

I've been told to use the ring finger to put on eye cream because you're not as likely to pat too hard. I love the Eminence line. My mother always used a fresh washcloth to rinse off her Noxema so I've always used one too. I skip the Noxema though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...