Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Progress in my dramatic, black bedroom

 

 

DSC_0240

 

Whenever I mention that we just painted our guest bedroom the color black I always get a shocked look.

Remember my choice of Benjamin Moore’s Witching Hour for Michael’s bedroom?

Well we’ve been making some progress in this room so I thought I’d share a few photos of the black walls.

This is what the paint shade looks like in the natural light. As you can see it’s got a lot of blue in it.

 

IMG_3084

And here’s my original test wall.

(Don’t you love how I paint around everything?  I’m the most impatient painter).

In this light it looks deceptively ink black which it’s not.

IMG_3130

Once the painting was done we put the tufted navy headboard together (well actually Michael did) and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it looked against the wall.

I ordered the headboard with the inexpensive canvas fabric from HERE because it was on sale and I ended up being pretty happy with the quality and look of it.

DSC_0239

I bought the white bedding along with the Ralph Lauren throw blanket from HomeGoods.

DSC_0924

I replaced the fully lined, linen drapes that were previously in here with some white linen ones from Ikea that we had in our dining room.

You can see more of this bedroom (pre-black paint) HERE. It’s not completely gone, just relocated downstairs.

Since we’re getting French doors installed in the dining room shortly, it was good timing for removing these curtains.

DSC_0242

 

I only have a cell phone shot to show you but the white curtains really lighten up that entire wall.

 

IMG_3136

I kept the two white, wood trimmed mirrors that flank the bed and not only do they add symmetry but along with the white ceiling, they reflect the natural light from the window.

We’re still working on the other side of the room.

 

Before

This wall will eventually be a gallery wall of his choice.

DSC_0902

 

After—

still in progress

IMG_3147

 

Remember, this a college age guy.

He’s already selected this print of Jake Bugg so I’m thinking we’ll stick with mostly black and white art for here.

(Ignore that door—it still needs another coat of paint)

 

DSC_0955

 

And over in this corner everything is gone but the desk. We have some plans for books shelves, new lamp and chair.

 

In the meantime I’m on the look out for some fun pillows…

 

PicMonkey Collage.jpgpillows

maybe something a little bold and graphic?

Hmmm…I’m not sure, it depends on the rug.

d0ad23abe51740451e47c7b8c9828ac1

Because I can’t get this one out of my head.

I just love the ‘tribal’ vibe with the dark walls and a black and white gallery wall…and I’d love to find a similar rug at the right price…

but then there’s Michael’s opinion which is definitely not always aligned with mine so we’ll see.

 

IMG_3142

 

I’ll keep you all posted.

But for now I’m off to study for an anatomy quiz in my yoga training class.

Whew, that’s a whole other story.

Peace and love to you,

xo

Leslie

 

partying at

Inspire Me Tuesday

The Scoop

 

 

10 comments:

michele said...

leslie, the color is working like magic, giving that room so much depth and interest. i love the contrasts developing in there and can imagine the cocoonlike vibe taking shape for him. the gallery wall idea is so great for him to express his artistic side, and i have a similar plan in mind for my guy's bedroom. i painted it a very moody grey/brown which works beautifully with the color of the bark just outside his windows. he is a nature loving guy so i am hoping to keep it organic and simple to reflect his values. go get em, mama, with anatomy, yoga, teaching, and discovering that world of inner beauty. you clearly already have a handle on making that world more accessible to us. peace.

Art and Sand said...

The room is much more "college age guy" than beach house and that's important while he is living with you.

I was just reading an article about my daughter's boyfriend's brother who is on the US World Cup Rugby team. They are in England right this month for World Cup and I thought it was interesting that 3 of the players on the US World Cup team are from Sacramento and Jesuit grads.

Sarah said...

Looking good, Leslie. I like the vibe of this room, and I bet Michael is happy. Good luck on the exam.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Leslie I LOVE the way his room is coming along!! Can't wait to see more of his gallery wall! Love the black walls!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Leslie, it looks fabulous! I am in the process of picking out a true navy blue paint for the master bedroom, so I am taking cues form your work to see what mine might turn out like.

I love it all as I am sure that your son will as well.

Debra@CommonGround said...

absolutely gorgeous!!! love the blue undertones, it's perfect!!!

Mary K. said...

Those pesky kids with their opinions trying to ruin our vision! But seriously, sometimes we need to trust them and in the end it somehow works out and it is their room and we are all happy! Gorgeous walls.

Karen said...

Leslie,
I love the way the room looks. Have raised sons I completely understand and actually appreciate a more masculine vibe to rooms. The paint is a great color. Did you do eggshell finish?
There's tests on your Yoga classes, yikes.
Stay cool this weekend.
xo,
Karen

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This room is coming together so beautifully, Leslie...it has a great edgy quality. The headboard is wonderful and I love the art your son chose. And I love that inspiration rug, too.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your son's room is looking good, Leslie! I love the tufted headboard and I've been looking at them for our master bedroom, too. The dark blue is gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...